21.1.15

JIMI HENDRIX'S BANK STATEMENT


New Year bank statements that reveal the full horror of overspending at Christmas are always uncomfortable so imagine how Jimi must have felt to learn that he had just £8 17/6d in the bank on January 23. Fortunately £1,000 landed in his account in mid-February, by which time he was £366 17/6 overdrawn, which probably sent a chill up the spine of the manager at Martins Bank in Edgware Road. After all, these rock stars can’t be relied upon to bank their income regularly.
              More seriously, this document does disclose the pitiful state of Jimi’s finances in early 1968 – after he’d been a big star for at least 18 months – and suggests that someone somewhere was probably raking it in off his back. Tony Brown submitted this for inclusion in his Hendrix Visual Documentary book but never told me where he got it. 

3 comments:

  1. Average salaries were around £2,000 a year in 1971, with the average house selling for £5,632 . On that basis Jimi was loaded.... http://www.theguardian.com/worklifeuk/cost-of-living-1971-today

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martins Bank Archive are currently looking for the copyright holder of this statement at www.martinsbank.co.uk (go to branches and choose London, 79 edgware Road)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete